Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine knocking

5 posters

Go down

Engine knocking Empty Engine knocking

Post by mb7201 Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Right so the new engine has been running fine for quite a while and then all of a sudden yesterday I noticed overnight the exhaust had got quieter and power was down. Just now I had a listen an on idle/ constant speed everything sounds normal but when you change the engine speed theres quite a high pitched knocking sounding maybe in time with a slight misfire (not too sure). Seems to be enough oil. Any ideas? pale

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Engine knocking Empty Re: Engine knocking

Post by mb7201 Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Slight update, I think it may be the fuel. I went a filled up with shell v-power and it seem to knock less. I still had 1/2 tank of tesco crap though so will have to wait and see. I filled it up last week so it would have taken a while to take affect if it was the fuel? Any ideas anyway just in case its something else?

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by Davespages Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:20 pm

was the head skimmed considerably?

Higher compression will cause knocking but i dont have major issues on 95ron with 11.4:1

Fuel starvation can bring on detonation if the ingnition is too far advanced.
Davespages
Davespages
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Supposed to be 11.1:1 but I don't know. It been fine since its been on, but then all of a sudden overnight this happened. Was fine sunday afternoon, then monday morning noticed it was quiet, had a better look today and it was knocking. It only seems to happen under load. I'll check it out thursday and re-adjust the tappets to rule out something relating to them, I'm pretty sure the new fuel helped though

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 am

what engine is it?

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:55 pm

1.3 endura. I have a few things I'll check out tomorrow.Someone told me earlier it sound like just a blow so hopefully its just that

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by scorted Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:27 am

are you sure it was knocking and not just pinking?

scorted
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 am

Thats what I was thinking to start with, but now i don't think the fuel was the problem, theres something up with it. The knock sound more like a click really like a ht lead arcing or something, and it seems to be coming from the flywheel end.

Just sorted out the tappets, and checked the exhaust for blows and its still the same. However when I was checking it a new problem started up. Its started popping back through inlet manifold, although I don't know if it was because I kept revving it quickly from idle. I'm wondering if the ecu has messed something up so I'll reset that. I was messing around with throttle bodies the week before so maybe fueling it out? The cam timing can't be out and I doubt/ hope I haven't bent a valve. Bearing in mind all these problems happened over night, suggest it might be electrical?

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by scorted Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 am

its hard to say, are you sure your clicking / banging noise isn't an auxillery part?

scorted
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I have no idea Neutral Theres not really anything over there. Even so there still the problem of loss of power/ loss of exhaust noise. Surely if a valve was done in it would run like a load of crap wouldn't it? It runs ok but with reduced power. I'm reasonably sure the engine is fine

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by scorted Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 pm

compression test it then go from there. could your gearbox or clutch have shit its pants?

scorted
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mg_evolution Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 am

are your manifolds both sealed properly? you could have a HT lead sparking as you say, but it might be worth checking the spark plugs to make sure they are not arching or broken.

mg_evolution

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:17 am

Ok slightly good news. The exhaust sound/ power is now back and seems to be back to normal, it seems the ecu was having fun with me Rolling Eyes

The sound is still there though. I don't know about gearbox, the clutch looked ok though. The exhaust manifold seems to be sealed and inlet ones seem ok. Rebuilt the rocker shaft yesterday and it was very clean

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Well the tesco tank has gone now and was still knocking for a while. Left it a while and next time I started it, it had gone. So looks like it could have been pinking. Hopefully it will stay gone

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Ok well I now know its an inlet leak I'm looking for. I had a go at the inlet/ head one this morning and it seems to have been reduced it a lot but is still there sometimes. Whereabouts should I be looking? Is it mainly just cfi unit down? I think the gasket between the cfi and throttle body like section is in a pretty bad way but ford don't sell it on its own Sad

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by scorted Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:23 pm

could be anywhere, check all your vacuum hoses etc

scorted
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mg_evolution Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:29 pm

i thank you, dman i good. lol

might be worth just taking it all off, cleaning all the mating surfaces. look for cracks etc, and replace all the gaskets. any good motor factor should be able to source them, from BGA or payen, even with the head gasket set you probably won't break £15

mg_evolution

Back to top Go down

Post by scorted Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:33 pm

i'd check the vac hoses first... and anything easy, i rebuilt the zetec inlet twice to find i had a leaky TPS Sad

scorted
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm

mg_evolution wrote:i thank you, dman i good. lol
cheers lol

I don't think any of the pipes are at fault, I had a good check of those the other week although I'll double check them. That gasket comes as a kit for various random bits and it was £20 so I left that. I've got my own paper so I think I'll just make another

Thanks for the suggestions

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 pm

I had a look over it today and I still haven't found it Sad I've pretty much gone over the whole intake system now sealed all the gaskets and checked all the pipes but the noise is still there. I think next call will be exhaust manifold although the head gaskets are new.

Also read out the codes and there code 44 coming back which says on the internet is ""Blip" test not performed or late response". Any ideas what this could mean?

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by Davespages Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:54 am

No idea what code 44 "blip" is?

Are you absolutely sure there is no vaccum leaks, Remove the air filter from the inlet pipe.
Start the car... let it idle. Put your hand on the inlet pipe... covering it, if it stalls, then there isn;t a vaccum leak as the engine would draw in through that!
Davespages
Davespages
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mb7201 Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Thought I might just update this. Replacing a gasket where the inlet meets the head got rid of the majority of the noise, but a hint was still there sometimes when under load. Taped over the hose joins to the MAP sensor and I *think* it has gone (bearing in mind I said this several times above Laughing). I haven't heard it since, usually I would have heard it come back by now

mb7201

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down