Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Personality of the Year

:: General Chat :: Lounge

Go down

Sports Personality of the Year Empty Sports Personality of the Year

Post by Davespages Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:36 pm

The Beeb's Sports Personality of the year..

Joe Calzaghe pipped Lewis Hamilton to the title of Sports Personality of the Year.

Sports Personality of the Year _44290146_calzaghe270gi Sports Personality of the Year TAG-Heuer-Lewis-Hamilton1

The 35-year-old finished ahead of Formula One star Lewis Hamilton, while boxer Ricky Hatton was in third place.

Calzaghe, the world super-middleweight champion, is undefeated in 44 fights, including a superb win over Mikkel Kessler in November.

Enzo Calzaghe, Joe's father and trainer, was named Coach of the Year.

"I'm shocked - it's a massive honour and it caps off a great year for me," said the boxer who has been a world champion for 10 years.

Calzaghe won with 177,748 (28.19%) votes to Hamilton's 122,649 (19.45%) and Hatton's 85,280 (13.53%).

He received the trophy from Lennox Lewis in Las Vegas after travelling to the USA to support his friend Hatton, who was defeated by Floyd Mayweather on Saturday night.

And after being on the shortlist last year but not making the top three in the voting, Calzaghe joked: "I said I didn't care last year but I lied."

He added: "I'm proud of it, it's a real achievement and also with my dad winning tonight. To get two boxers in the top three is amazing.

"I'd like to say thank you very much to everybody who voted for me and hopefully next year I can have a great year again
Davespages
Davespages
Admin

Back to top Go down

:: General Chat :: Lounge

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum